Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang reveals dream target after tormenting Benni McCarthy's Harambee Stars

Gabon striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. Photo. Imago

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang reveals dream target after tormenting Benni McCarthy's Harambee Stars

Evans Ousuru 06:10 - 27.03.2025

After denting Harambee Stars World Cup hopes, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has explained his next target.

At 35, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is proving he is far from losing his shine.

Still as fast, sharp, and determined, he remains one of the most feared forwards, capable of making a difference at any moment.

Just like his brace against Harambee Stars in the 2-1 win at the Nyayo Stadium on Sunday which earned the Panthers three crucial points, the former Arsenal marksman still has the finishing touch similar to Cristiano Ronaldo or Leonel Messi, the duo with a combined age of 77 years.

PAY ATTENTION: Follow us on Google News, Stay informed with Latest Sport News

Gabon are set to play at the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations edition set for Morocco after missing out on last year's showpiece in Ivory Coast.

After scoring in either half against Michael Olunga-captained Stars in matchday six of the 2026 World Cup qualifier, the former Borussia Dortmund striker revealed that he is eager to guide Gabon to the AFCON glory, terming it a life-long dream.

In an interview with Cafonline, Aubameyang said: "If I were to set myself a goal, it would be to win the Africa Cup of Nations. It would be a dream, perhaps seen as ambitious by some, but for me, it’s a real objective.

"I’m going there with unwavering determination. It would also be something extraordinary for the country to reach the final and deliver a great performance. It would be truly incredible."

Aubameyang, who also played for Chelsea and French Ligue 1 side Olympic Marseille, said it hurt watching the Cote d'Ivoire Afcon edition on TV, adding that the Morocco showpiece will be a time for redemption.

"I think we missed out on a great AFCON because I personally watched it on TV, and it was really nice to see. I find it disappointing that we didn't participate. But we have to make up for it and go as far as we can in the next one."

Regarding the World Cup qualifiers, Aubameyang reiterated that being in Group F alongside Ivory Coast, Burundi, Kenya, Gambia and Seychelles was the last thing he expected.

"I think it's the group of death. We're used to it now. We often end up in tough groups. But I think it's a good thing—it’s a big test from the start. At least it gives a direction for the competition because if you manage to get out of this group, it means you're capable of winning the Africa Cup of Nations. I think these are the biggest nations we could face, so it will give us a good idea when we come out of it."

Thierry Mouyouma’s men, buoyed by Aubameyang's impressive form, are determined to silence critics at Afcon and look a shoe-in to book a slot for the 2026 World Cup..